When we speak the name of Jesus, it is with authority. For He alone is the Anointed One, the Faithful Witness, the Firstborn of the Dead, and the Ruler over the Kings of the Earth. There is power in the precious name of Jesus.
Not only does the name of Jesus have power, but He loves us. The Apostle John knew the love of Jesus. He even called himself, “The one Jesus loved (John 13:23).” So it makes sense that John himself would remind us of the love of Jesus.
To be fond of, to love dearly, to be well pleased
Jesus loves His church dearly. Not only does He love us, but He is well pleased with us. The Greek word agapao is used 144 times in the Greek New Testament. Let’s look at a few verses that show the love Jesus has for us:
- Jesus felt agapao (love) for the rich man who would not pay the price to follow Him (Matthew 10:21);
- God loved the world so much that He gave us Jesus (John 3:16);
- Jesus loved Martha, Mary & Lazarus (John 11:5);
- John called himself the “disciple Jesus loved” (John 13:23);
- Jesus will love the one who keeps His commandments (John 14:21);
- Jesus loves us and we are to abide in His love (John 15:9);
- Because of Christ’s love, we overwhelmingly conquer (Romans 8:37);
- God loves a cheerful giver (2 Corinthians 9:7);
- Jesus loved us so much, He gave His life for us (Galatians 2:20);
- Because we are Christ’s beloved, He gives us great grace (Ephesians 1:6);
- Because He loves us, He shows us great mercy (Ephesians 2:4);
- Christ loves the church and expects husbands to love their wives (Ephesians 5:28);
- Christ’s love is incorruptible (Ephesians 6:24);
- God is love (1 John 4:8);
- God loved us first (1 John 4:19).
As we draw near to the celebrated day of Christ's birth, I pray that you receive a revelation of Christ’s love for you. The Apostle John walked in the knowledge of the love of Jesus, and we can too.
I ask that you would reveal your love to each and every person reading these words. I pray that they would also be able to receive your love for them. You alone know the barriers that exist in each of our hearts that keep us from comprehending your great love. Father, remove our barriers and fill us with Christ’s love.
In Jesus’ Name,